Grandma Rose’s Authentic Italian Tomato Sauce:
Why do Italian’s call Red Sauce – Gravy? The answer – Red Gravy contains meat, or the meat drippings from the browned sausage, meatballs and spareribs that eventually went into the sauce to be served with the pasta of choice.
Sauce as in Marinara Sauce – does not contain meat, and therefore retains the more common name of Red Sauce. Below is a “good” approximation of what goes into Authentic Italian Gravy – yet keep in mind – you can always get in touch with your “Inner Italian” and add whatever else you might like to “Make it Your Own.”
1. Place some Olive Oil ( a few Tablespoons) in the bottom of a large Pot – add a few cloves of garlic, gently brown – remove garlic cloves if desired.
2. Add 2-3 large cans of STRAINED Plum Italian Tomatoes – discard pulp (some will dice up the pulp and add it to the Sauce for a chunkier effect).
3. Add a hand-full of diced fresh basil, a pinch of salt and pepper to taste; bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to simmer to thicken. The thicker version is used on pasta, the thinner, lighter version is used when making your baked dishes such as lasagna and manicotti.
4. Add your browned meatballs, sausage, etc. to enhance flavor as desired – When meat is warmed through it’s ready to serve. Note: The longer the Gravy simmers, the thicker it will get, so be careful not to overdo the simmering process.
FUN FACT #2 – Grandma Rose would also pour the drippings from the browned meats into the Sauce for extra flavor but stopped doing this as she got on in years once the adverse effects of too much fats and oils in the diet became more well known.
5. At the end just prior to serving – toss in a pinch of fresh Oregano – if the Oregano sits too long in the simmering sauce, it will turn the flavor bitter. Serve with your favorite pasta and our Authentic Meatball Recipe from Grandma Rose.
Aprilanne Hurley SFN is a Certified Specialist in Fitness Nutrition,California Living’s Health Expert, and author of “The Party Girl Diet,” available on Amazon.com so you can “Keep the Party Going…While You Lose the Weight!”
Hurley’s new book “The Sexy Abs Diet” will be available on Amazon this season! Visit SexyAbsDiet.com for pre-order updates and release date info.