Archive for September 1st, 2011
Party Girl Diet Author Aprilanne Hurley’s Dishes Healthy and Delicious “Do-Ahead” BBQ Tips with host Guy Farris – During one of her ABC 10′s Sacramento & Company Appearances on The Party Girl Diet’s Big City Tour!
When it comes to healthy grilling - Aprilanne offers a few simple tricks that can up your cancer protection and allow you more time to spend with your family and friends at your next outdoor party:
- Marinate your meats and chicken in olive oil, and healthy herbs and spices, which will help protect you from the carcinogens caused by cooking meat on the grill.
- Be creative and replace the typical burgers and dogs with gourmet varieties of chicken and turkey sausages, and marinated chunks of grilled chicken. Health Bonus: Using smaller cuts of meat will take less time to cook and offer less carcinogen causing exposure to grill flames. Kabobs are a great option (see below) and turn frequently to avoid burning.
- Pre-cook your meat and place on wooden kabobs with an assortment of colorful veggies and fruit chunks
- Marinate your veggies and fruit in low-fat, low-salt dressings, and/or olive oil based marinades. Good News – vegetables and fruit do not create the HCA’s (cancer causing carcinogens) when cook on the grill!
- Prepare a healthy and delicious “Do-Ahead” beverage to serve your guests such as:
- The Party Girl Diet’s Virgin Pomegranate Sangria – see recipe below:
The night before your party – place all of the following ingredients in a large pitcher and feel free to substitute any or all of the fruit for what you have in:
- 1/2 large bottle of no sugar added pomegranate juice (For alcoholic sangria – use a bottle of red wine – choose a variety that is not too sweet or expensive)
- 1/2 container of Vitamin D/Calcium Enriched Orange Juice
- 4 skinned and sliced kiwi fruits
- 2 washed and thinly sliced oranges
- A dozen strawberries (organic) sliced
- 1 can pineapple chucks with juice
Let all of the flavors of the ingredients meld in the pitcher overnight.
Right before serving, add ice, and if you wish to have a “sparking” effect – top off the pitcher with some “sparkling pomegranate natural” soda.
To serve – use a wooden spoon to scoop some fruit into individual (plastic if outdoors) rocks glasses and pour or ladle in the liquid. Garnish with an orange slice, strawberry, etc – and ENJOY!